Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Jesse Dyen: Contents Under Pressure

Jesse Dyen's music hooked me very quickly. I'm not sure what it is that has music click with me so quickly sometimes, but this album has it. He's got a natural understanding of how to create catchy melodies and sweet chord structures that enhance the song. I've been grappling for months on how to give his music a review that will capture its treasures. The best way, of course, is to just click the album link and take a listen for yourself.

Dyen's style can easily be compared to Paul McCartney, Elton John, and at times even the Bee Gees. One great thing about his music that I wish I could incorporate into my own, is his ability to keep things light even when the lyrics can be downright resentful or angry. Things are never overly significant with Dyen. Even when he's singing the words "your display was rather vile with your half assed smile", he keeps singing like life is all good. I find this intriguing and refreshing.

I don't want you to think now that all of his lyrics are angry. In fact, being the idealist that I am, one of my favorite songs on the album is called "Love One Another". And he also has quite a sense of humor. His song, "You Are What You Eat", is great commentary on what they put in processed foods, which could easily be a Weird Al song.

My favorite song however, must be the reprise of the album, "Have 2 Lie". Unfortunately it's buried in the track with some other things before and after, almost as a hidden track. But let's just say it's the hidden treasure of the album.

No comments: